Jason Miller speaks with high school football coaches from City High, West High, Iowa City Regina, Solon, and West Branch live at Midtown Family Restaurant at 8am each Saturday morning.
With the kickoff of the high school football season quickly approaching, some thoughts/questions have entered my mind.
1) Can City High turn things around and get the ship back on the course of success? Recent seasons have been tough on the eastsiders. But, hunger for victory can fuel a great many things. One of my favorite lunch pail players, Amos Lovela, will be missed.
2) What can West High do to match the last two seasons? Well, they can start by winning games. Replacing the talent at WR of Jeremy Morgan and Dre Alexander is going to be a tough task to ask. Ezra Reiner may be the biggest shoes to fill of anybody in Eastern Iowa.
3) I think the sleeping giant is awakening in northern Johnson County. Coach Kevin Miller and his Solon Spartans are ramping up the intensity in early season practices. Look for a surprise name to be leading the offense this year. Rumor has it that a transfer from SE Iowa will make a big splash in Class 3A.
4) West Branch: well, what can I say? You lose 2011 and 2012 1st team all-state RB Cade Jones, and his backfield mate of Bo Bower. Both were 3 year starters for the Bears. Cole Cook's leadership under center will also be a big role that needs filling. Key players for 2013: Jon St John, Michael Gould, and Lucas Lamont...among many.
5) Will anybody beat Regina in 2013? My short answer: no. Yes, the Regals graduated a boatload of talent at many positions. But, their junior class is loaded, and I mean loaded, with talent and ability. Drew Cook, the coach's son, takes over at QB. Returning in the backfield is Riley Hanrahan, an all-district performer.
So, will these questions have answers?
Tune in to the Coaches' Corner on August 24 at 8am to find out. Join us live at the Midtown Family Restaurant on Iowa City's east side.
Let's get it crackin'!